Mark McKinnon, a columnist at The Daily Beast, gave this as his current rankings of the possible 2012 GOP hopefuls:
- Mitt Romney: He’s next in line.
- Sarah Palin: Conservatives love her. Huckabee’s implosion leaves her in second place.
- Tim Pawlenty: Doing everything right.
- John Thune: The Bob McDonnell of the 2012 GOP field.
- Mike Huckabee: The Clemmons affair really hurt him in the law-and-order GOP.
- Joe Scarborough: Morning Joe is young, articulate, and telegenic. He has core republican bona fides—but is also enough centrist ideas to appeal to moderates and young voters.
- Haley Barbour: Smart enough to outfox Obama
- Newt Gingrich: Generates talk but not likely to run.
- Mitch Daniels: An extraordinarily successful and effective governor in Indiana, a state that has been recently more blue than red.
- Rick Perry: He’s already the longest-serving governor in Texas history and has the best conservative record of any contender.
- Rick Santorum
- Mike Pence
- Ron Paul
- Eric Cantor
- Jeb Bush
- Jim DeMint
Note: These are my summations of McKinnon’s comments. They do not necessarily represent my thoughts.