Of the main contenders for the 2012 Republican nomination for President, please indicate who, in your opinion, would be the easiest to beat.
- Sarah Palin 36%
- Rick Santorum 20%
- Bobby Jindal 12%
- Ron Paul 7%
- Rudy Giuliani 5%
- Jeb Bush 4%
- Jon Kyl 3%
- Mike Huckabee 2%
- Tim Pawlenty 1%
- Mitt Romney 1%
Please indicate if you approve or disapprove of the way Barack Obama is handling his job as president?
- Strongly approve 51%
- Somewhat approve 44%
- Somewhat disapprove 3%
- Strongly disapprove 2%
Favorable / Unfavorable (Net)
- Barack Obama 85% / 2% (+83%)
- Jon Stewart 82% / 2% (+80%)
- Stephen Colbert 76% / 2% (+74%)
- Joe Sestak 46% / 8% (+38%)
- Arlen Specter 15% / 44% (-29%)
- Sarah Palin 1% / 88% (-87%)
- Rush Limbaugh 0% / 88% (-88%)
Please read the pairs of statements below and for each indicate if the FIRST statement or the SECOND statement comes closer to your own view, even if neither is exactly right.
- I will support a health care reform bill even without a public option as long as it expands affordable coverage to all Americans and prevents insurance companies from denying coverage. 26%
- A public option is the only way to truly hold insurance companies accountable and bring down costs and I will not support a health care reform bill without it. 53%
- I support the House compromise on the energy bill because it’s an important first step to capping carbon emissions and averting a climate crisis. 46%
- I oppose the House compromise on the energy bill because it creates too many loopholes for fossil fuel interests and doesn’t do enough to address the climate crisis. 27%
- I’d support legislation that makes it easier for workers to organize, even without so-called “card check” provisions, because the other measures take important steps in protecting workers. 45%
- I can’t support legislation to make it easier for workers to organize without the so-called “card check” provisions that will ensure workers can organize without intimidation or harassment. 28%
- The best way to move a progressive agenda forward is for progressives to generally support Obama on his key initiatives, taking on his enemies and coordinating messages against Republicans and the corporate special interests standing in the way of reform. 41%
- The best way to move a progressive agenda forward is for progressives to criticize President Obama when necessary and take on the Democrats, as well as Republicans and the corporate special interests, when they also stand in the way of reform. 35%
Please indicate which TWO you think progressive activists should be focusing their attention and efforts on the most.
- Passing comprehensive health care reform 60%
- Passing green energy policies that address environmental concerns 22%
- Working to enact progressive economic policies 19%
- Working to elect progressive candidates in the 2010 elections 17%
- Working to enact President Obama’s agenda generally 16%
- Countering right-wing attacks on Obama and his agenda 13%
- Increasing accessibility to quality education for all 9%
- Passing legislation to make it easier for workers to organize 8%
- Working to end our military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan 8%
- Working to expand rights to those in the LGBT community 6%
- Passing comprehensive immigration reform 5%
Which ONE of the below do you, personally, spend the most time advancing currently?
- Passing comprehensive health care reform 23%
- Working to elect progressive candidates in the 2010 elections 16%
- Passing green energy policies that address environmental concerns 12%
- Working to enact President Obama’s agenda generally 10%
- Working to expand rights to those in the LGBT community 7%
- Countering right-wing attacks on Obama and his agenda 6%
- Working to enact progressive economic policies 5%
- Increasing accessibility to quality education for all 4%
- Passing comprehensive immigration reform 3%
- Passing legislation to make it easier for workers to organize 3%
- Working to end our military involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan 1%
Please indicate on a scale from 0 to 10 how willing you would be to contribute your own money, time and/or efforts in order to help President Obama and the Democrats pass legislation on specific issues with 10 being extremely willing and 0 being not at all willing.
- Comprehensive health care reform 8.3
- Comprehensive energy reform. 7.4
- The Employee Free Choice Act 6.5
Of the two candidates who have declared they are running for the Democratic nomination for the Senate here in Pennsylvania, who do you currently support?
- Joe Sestak 46%
- Arlen Specter 10%
- Neither 7%
- Don’t Know 33%
Please choose the term that best describes how you think of yourself in political terms.
- Progressive 54%
- Liberal 26%
- Moderate 9%
- Conservative 0%
Survey of 252 conference attendees was conducted August 13-14.